The strongest Go player in Chile

Employee

On the other side of the world from Japan, there is a Mitsubishi Materials mining engineer, Satoshi Kamanaka, who has made a great contribution to the development of the board game Go in Chile.
Mr. Kamanaka had been a prefectural winner many times since before he joined the company, worked at the Los Pelambres mine in Chile, and as the population of Go players in South America increased rapidly due to the popularity of the Hikaru no Go manga, he was involved in the promotion of Go in the country. He is called “The strongest Go player in Chile,” and has held lectures at the prestigious University of Chile, and also frequently held Go lectures and lessons in his home. He has also translated more than 200 Go terms and 100 proverbs into easy to understand Spanish so that the Chileans can understand them as well. He also began to teach at Korean Go clubs, was asked to teach a JICA* worker who actually was sent from Japan to teach Go in Chile, highlighting how skilled he is at Go.

As he played Go against 12 opponents simultaneously, he said, “Go is like talking with your hand, and I’m talking to 12 people separately. Where to place the stone comes to mind in just an instant.”
He continued these activities, receiving numerous awards from the Chilean Go Association and featured as the Go Maestro on local television. Today he works at the Copper Mountain mine in Canada, but he still teaches Chilean students online.

• *Japan International Cooperation Agency